Shelters are important during emergency situations. Most of the shelter locations on Sint Maarten are used for other purposes throughout the year. Only at critical times, such as a hurricane, they are opened to the public. The list of the shelter locations that will be repaired can be found below or downloaded here.
The repair works to shelter locations mainly consist of replacing windows, doors and shutters. In addition, new generators, diesel tanks and underground water tanks will placed at four shelter locations.
The contractor has already ordered the generators and the diesel tanks. The work is scheduled to start around August 21. The total time to complete all the works is estimated to take about two months.
List of shelters to be repaired and equipped:
- St. Maarten Academy Gym Hall, Cupper Drive, Cul de Sac
- Genevieve de Weever School Experiment, Estate Drive, Upper Princes’ Quarter
- Milton Peters College Gym Hall, L.B. Scott Road, St. Peters Cul de Sac
- Sister Marie Laurence School, Ellis Drive, Middle Region Lower Princes Quarter
- Dutch Quarter Community Center, Dacca Road, Dutch Quarter Lower Princes Quarter
- Belvedere Community Center, Belvedere Estate Road, Lower Princes Quarter
- Rupert Maynard Community Center, St. Peters Road, St. Peters Cul de Sac
- Little League Ball Park, Soualiga Road, Philipsburg
- National Institute for Professional Advancement (NIPA), Bobcat Road, Little Bay
- Simpson Bay Community Center, St. Modesta Road, Simpson Bay
- Melford Hazel Sports Center, Soualiga Road, Philipsburg
- John Larmonie Center, Long Wall Road, Philipsburg
- B. Scott Sport Center, Long Wall Road, Philipsburg
Activity at a glance
|Part of project||ERP1|
|Available budget||US $ 946.063
|Start date||August 7, 2019
|Expected closing date||October 15, 2019|